Ubuntu / Crash with too many samples loaded

Errors, malfunctions, website typos.
glafouk
F4 - Digitalis

Ubuntu / Crash with too many samples loaded

Post by glafouk » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:49 pm

Hi there...

First, thanks a lot again for your magic software !

Got a trouble with the last release (haven't tried with the old one) : I'm trying to load around 150 samples (short .wav of approx. 12 seconds each, so i thought it wasn't so hardcore for the memory) to get my set ready with all parts I need but... Reaching about 80 or 100 (don't remind exactly), it crashed when I tried to load another sample... I have saved my patch with some few less (I did lotta save cause it was a bit "long and boring" to "create channel, set it to loop no end, put the volume max, load a sample" etc etc etc and I didn't want to do it again), but when I try to reload it, it crash & freeze all the time...

So, is it "normal" ??? I mean, do I was a stoopid user trying to load tooooo many samples that "normal users" won't do that ?
Or is there a limit of channel/sample loaded ??? (nb: each sample is supposed to play "alone", then a second sample could b unchained directly in the beat... i didn't try to play all samples together :) ).
Should I "cut" my set in 2 or 3 patches then ? (not so funky coz it means it will have some patchload break...)
Did I missed something ?

thanks,
Jérémie.

[edit] : Just look at the folder of samples... It was between 119/123 samples loaded... the total amount is like 96 347Ko...
[edit] : My conf. asus u5f, 1Go ram, ubuntu studio up to date...

[edit] : Tried the same with Windows (w7 32bit / lenovo thinkcentre / 3Go Ram), Giada is full ok to load my 153 samples (120 637 Ko) and reload my patch anytime... Too few Ram on my linux machine ??? Or other trouble ???
[edit] : On Windows, when loading a sample, the volume is auto set to 100% (on linux, have to do it myself)

glafouk
F4 - Digitalis

Re: Ubuntu / Crash with too many samples loaded

Post by glafouk » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:53 pm

In fact it seem not to be a sample weight, but a number of channels limit.
When i'm trying to put more than 100/120 channels, it freeze... even if they are all empty...
When I ask what's happening to nux, he says : processus 165, memory 15%, expanded memory 0%, so it's not a memory size trouble i guess...

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Re: Ubuntu / Crash with too many samples loaded

Post by FFT » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:34 am

Hi there, thanks for reporting.
I guess is a "graphical" bug (X11 system on Linux), since in Giada there's no limit on the number of available channels - unless you run out of memory, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Two questions:

Do you have any backtrace or debug output to paste here?
Does Giada always crash regularly at channel N, or is it a random behavior?

[edit] : On Windows, when loading a sample, the volume is auto set to 100% (on linux, have to do it myself)
Enable 'Bring channels to full volume on sample load' in Config Panel (http://www.giadamusic.com/documentation-configuration)