[FIXED] VSTs lock to upper rt corner of screen when opened

Errors, malfunctions, website typos.
kidlogic
F4 - Digitalis

[FIXED] VSTs lock to upper rt corner of screen when opened

Post by kidlogic » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:26 pm

Not sure if this is specific to me or not as I couldnt find anything about it anywhere on the forums here, maybe Im missing something and its a setting I cant find...

Im using Giada 0.12.0 on a Windows 10 tablet

When I load a VST on a channel and open the VST GUI to make adjstments, it opens in the upper right corner of the monitor. It is almost as if it is trying to open full screen but it isnt big enough.

There is no "border" around the window so I cannot grab the VST to move it around and no "x" to close the window.

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Re: VSTs lock to upper rt corner of screen when opened

Post by FFT » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:30 pm

Hi kidlogic,

Thanks for reporting. That's a very annoying bug. Just a couple of thoughts: does the VST GUI always behave like that, no matter how many times you open it? Also, Is there another "empty" window lying around? If so, you should be able to close the VST editor by clicking on the "x" button of that nonsense window. By the way we should dig the issue deeper.

kidlogic
F4 - Digitalis

Post by kidlogic » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:09 pm

Yeah so far every time Ive opened a VST within the program it has done this and with every VST.

The empty window is there if I resize the VST inside of it, but neither the window nor the VST have the "X" to close them and it only lets me resize the vst as if the upper right corner is locked.

Ok, so as I was typing this just now I seem to have found a workaround... the tablet slipped out of my hand when I set it down after trying all of this to again to report back to you, and the screen orientation changed enough that it rotated from landscape to portrait. After rotating back to landscape view, I have the proper border for the VST window including the window name and typical minimize, resize and close buttons and can now move it around.

So now If I open a new VST window, it is initially still locked to the upper right corner as I described, but if I rotate the screen orientation (by physically rotating the tablet from landscape to portrait and back) the window becomes unlocked and acts as it should. Hopefully that clue helps in finding the bug :D

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:54 am

So now If I open a new VST window, it is initially still locked to the upper right corner as I described, but if I rotate the screen orientation (by physically rotating the tablet from landscape to portrait and back) the window becomes unlocked and acts as it should.
That's definitely an odd behavior. Actually we don't have much control over the GUI part of Giada, since it's handled by a third party library (FLTK). I'll report the issue to them. Thanks again!

chumbo
F5 - Eucalyptus

Post by chumbo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:18 pm

I have a similar problem...I'm completely new to Giada so this was my very first run of the program by just running the .exe on a Windows 10 x64 PC and in my case, it locks up in the upper left corner and I also cannot move it since there is now grabbable area at the top of the screen!?

And if that wasn't enough, when I hit the 'About' button to be able to post here the version I'm using....It crashed!!
Not a great start...at all! :oops:
Too bad, on paper this looks like a great app!

Is there any hope I'll get this working or is it just too buggy still?

chumbo
F5 - Eucalyptus

Post by chumbo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:09 pm

I have the exact same problem except it locks to the top left hand corner?! It's my first time using the program and from the get go, that's what happened!
I'm using v0.14.5 on a Win10 x64 PC. I just ran the .exe so I guess that's the standalone version? Also, when I click the 'About' button, it crashes the program and the tabs in the 'Configuration' window are all dark except the one that's open, so I have to click each one of them to be able to read the tab name.
Not a good start! :oops:

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:48 pm

Hey chumbo,

Thanks for reporting. We are well aware of those nasty bugs, especially the VST lock. There might be an issue with the toolkit (or how we handle it) currently in use for the VST support. Investigation is underway, stay tuned :wink:

chumbo
F5 - Eucalyptus

Post by chumbo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:53 pm

There's something I don't understand....to me, VST = plugin, i.e. an 'app' used inside a DAW. In my case, I just run the .exe in Windows, so what I would call 'standalone'.
So why are you talking about VST? I don't need a long complicated dev. explanation but just wanted to clear that up in case you missed that I wasn't running it inside a DAW (in fact, I didn't even realised it could run as a VST plugin??)

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:49 pm

Oh great, I completely misunderstood your post. This topic is about VSTs, but you are facing a different problem.

The main window is stuck in the top-left corner. I think you can unlock it by dragging one of the window edges by a small amount. It's a matter of bad default window positioning that should be fixed.

chumbo
F5 - Eucalyptus

Post by chumbo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:38 am

No, can't do that for the same reason explained in this thread, i.e. there is no border to grab!, it's really completely out of reach.

I see the image is not resizable and appears rather small in the forum so if needed: https://i.imgur.com/mQR6UGV.png