[SOLVED] I am confused about Note On/Off messages

Errors, malfunctions, website typos.
D1RTY J0E
F7 - Goldenseal

[SOLVED] I am confused about Note On/Off messages

Post by D1RTY J0E » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:51 pm

Hello,
First I would like to thank all of you for all the wonderful work on this program. I would also like to apologize for this long post but I want to try and explain my issue thoroughly.

I am using Giada 0.11.0 mostly and also 0.11.2 on mac osx and am confused about this Note On/Off Configuration. My midi controller has buttons that are 'Momentary' in that the buttons send a Note On message when pressed and a Note Off Message when released. But I lie to Giada and tell her that my device does not send Note Off messages (even though it actually does).

Basically (in the Configuration Menu for Midi) I keep the box checked that my device does not send Note Off messages so that I do not have to hold buttons down. For example, in the Global Midi Input I have assigned a button for Sequencer Start/Stop. If I tell Giada the truth that my controller does send Note Off then I must hold the corresponding button down for the sequencer to play; when I release the button then the sequencer stops. I would rather not have to hold the button down so I check the box that says my device does not send Note Off. Now if I press the button once the sequencer plays; when I press it again the sequencer stops.

Similarly, for both sample and midi channels I have this behavior occur too. For both sample and midi channels I can assign a button for Key Press. Again, I would rather not have to hold the button down so I keep the box checked in the Configuration Menu and lie to Giada that my device does not send Note Off. Now when I press the button then the channel will play; I press the button again and the channel will stop. Otherwise, when I tell Giada the truth, I have to hold the button down because when I release the button the channel will want to stop.

So I have been lying to Giada and telling her that my device does not send Note Off messages and our relationship has been going well with this deception. But I noticed something recently and it has compelled me to write and ask for your help.

If I tell Giada the truth that my midi controller does send Note Off messages I would then be able to assign Volume Controls to my Sliders and Encoders on my controller! I have tested this and I can successfully assign Volume Control to sample channels, midi channels and also in the Global input as well to both encoder knobs and the sliders on my controller. They work perfectly! The only problem is that I am forced to tell Giada the truth that my controller does actually send Note Off messages. When I lie and say that my device does not send Note Off then I can't assign volume controls properly. It's like the Volume will snap to the value it was at when I clicked the midi-learn and then turned the knob on my controller. It's difficult to explain.

What should I do? I can't tell her the truth because then I would be forced to hold buttons down constantly. Please help me. What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by D1RTY J0E on Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

D1RTY J0E
F7 - Goldenseal

Re: I am confused about Note On/Off messages

Post by D1RTY J0E » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:07 pm

Hello,
First of all I would like to apologize for the extremely long post that I made previously and also for posting this issue in the Bugs forum. I have been thinking about my issue and realize that it is not really a 'bug' with Giada but more of a situation where I am trying to make Giada behave in a manner that I prefer to work and perform (so not really a bug at all).
Anyway, I am happy to report that I have a method to work-around my issue with Note On/Off settings and my controller. I have started using midiStroke. In this way, I assign a keyboard stroke in Giada to the midi channels and/or the sample channels (sample channels that do not have recorded actions) and in the midiStroke I assign the button on my controller.
Now, I tell Giada the truth and do not check the "device does not send note off" box in the configuration menu. I can control all of my sample and midi channels without having to hold the button down on my controller. And I can also assign volumes (and pitch) to my sliders and encoders. I am very happy with how this is working!

yvonnicknoel
F1 - Bilberry

Re: [SOLVED] I am confused about Note On/Off messages

Post by yvonnicknoel » Sun May 29, 2016 9:08 am

I would like to second that.
I have an Novation Impulse 49 keyboard controller and would like to control giada with it.
If I check the "Device does not send NoteOff" option in the Midi config Tab, then assign my Play knob (CC 115) to general Start/Stop, a first press on it triggers the sequencer and a second one stops it, and all is fine.
But then for some reason assignment of a continuous slider or rotating knob to volume or pitch, at the sample level, will not work! As stated by DirtyJoe, what is learned in that case in terms of MIDI binding is not simply the controller id, but the specific value you happened to reach when moving it during Midi learn. You can easily see this by relearning several time the very same controller on sample volume for instance, moving the slider, and will see the recorded Hexa code change each time, which is weird.
Conversely, if I uncheck the "Device does not send NoteOff" option, sample volume and pitch may be correctly continuously controlled. Only the basic CC code is recorded as a Midi binding, but then Transport controls do not work as expected: You have to keep the Play button pressed or the sequencer immediately stops.
I really love Giada and would be happy if a solution to this was found, as mouse and click is not convenient in a live situation.
Thank you for the good work anyway :)
Best,
Yvonnick