[FIXED?] Issue with "reset to init state" in edit menu

Errors, malfunctions, website typos.
fNcMINERVA
F3 - Chamomille

[FIXED?] Issue with "reset to init state" in edit menu

Post by fNcMINERVA » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:15 am

Hi I'm new here :D I started checking out this program a few days ago and think it's a lot of fun. I use four other music-creation programs (three of them trackers) which have good workflow, but they're less inspiring to use than this program most of the time.

I kind of like the pitch-tempo algorithm, sounds like round/truncation or linear. Keep it, but this program should also have some sort of time-stretch routine, even a "cheap" one like Soundtouch. Also it might be easier to support one or two send busses for a VST plug-in chain instead of (or in addition to) supporting 32 different chains.

---

Anyway, I'd like to report a bug. Probably this was mentioned already. It must be when the option "reset to init state" from the main "edit" menu is chosen and confirmed, this program becomes less stable. I have to browse for samples from a single slot and sometimes when I have to load in another one, I get the "Unable to load this sample" requester. I could remedy the problem by using "free resources" then loading the sample. Afterward, however, I might get that requester when there is no sample previously loaded in a slot.

I use the "cut" and "trim" options in the "edit sample" screen quite a bit, could this be an issue?

I also like to set the slot to "one shot press" mode because I have to enable playback for loop mode, and it's a drag waiting for the sample to finish playing with the other modes. Note that this is only when I'm browsing a sample and later I don't feel like setting it to loop.

Once I was afraid the program was going to crash, so I saved the patch, used "reset to init state" option again, then reloaded the patch. I got a bunch of "sample not found" messages inside the slots! I had to quit Giada, restart it, load the patch and everything then was OK.

Everytime I save a patch and finish working with it, and want to start another one, I have to quit this program, because I find the "reset to init state" option unreliable.

I'm using Giada v0.5.7 on a 5+ year old laptop running Windows XP SP3, 1.5 GB RAM, 1.6 GHz Celeron M CPU, ASIO4All v2.10 set to 768 samples because the sound system is incredibly fiddly. Almost all the time I use 16-bit wave files with any music program on this computer. To my knowledge, these wave files don't have suspicious or non-standard header definitions... many of them were originally 24-bit but since I had issues with other programs, I used a batch converter which I'm sure leaves out the extraneous stuff from the wave file header.

---

I'm sorry I started my post how I did, but there was no "Say hello" thread or similar and I was afraid of starting one. Many kudos to the author for this program and for making it available as freeware and open source! :)

Francisco
I love text-file formats, I program for them and that's all I can do!
Check out some of my stuff to do things with GPTC files: HERE

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Re: Issue with "reset to init state" in edit menu

Post by FFT » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:15 pm

fNcMINERVA wrote:[...] I kind of like the pitch-tempo algorithm, sounds like round/truncation or linear. Keep it, but this program should also have some sort of time-stretch routine, even a "cheap" one like Soundtouch. Also it might be easier to support one or two send busses for a VST plug-in chain instead of (or in addition to) supporting 32 different chains.
Hi Francisco, thank you for your interest and support!
We are aware that the current pitch algorithm is pure trash; things will surely get better thanks to the new library libsamplerate. The send busses and the time stretching are great ideas indeed, I will add them to our to-do list.
fNcMINERVA wrote:Anyway, I'd like to report a bug. [...]
That's a strange issue, it seems that Giada messes with the file path. I don't think that the operations done in the sample editor make the program unstable: in that case you would face memory issues. Have you ever noticed unexpected crashes or hangs after the reset?
fNcMINERVA wrote:Once I was afraid the program was going to crash, so I saved the patch, used "reset to init state" option again, then reloaded the patch. I got a bunch of "sample not found" messages inside the slots! I had to quit Giada, restart it, load the patch and everything then was OK.
Everytime I save a patch and finish working with it, and want to start another one, I have to quit this program, because I find the "reset to init state" option unreliable.
I would ask you to do a little test: load a bunch of samples and change volumes, cut, trim, do whatever you normally do. Then reset to init state, save the patch (which is blank, now) and upload it here. I want to see if there's any garbage left in the sample path.

fNcMINERVA
F3 - Chamomille

Post by fNcMINERVA » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:23 am

Well, I loaded up three wave files then saved the patch:
test.gptc.txt
Loaded in 3 samples into slots 1 2 and 3
(7.29 KiB) Downloaded 636 times

After that, I used trim on [1] sample slot and cut on [3] sample slot, saved as project and this is the patch file:
test2.gptc.txt
Save as project after using some edit functs
(7.28 KiB) Downloaded 606 times

Then I chose "reset to init state" command from "edit" menu, then saved the patch:
test-clear.gptc.txt
After using reset to init state
(7.12 KiB) Downloaded 580 times

It seems Giada retains the previous patch file name in the title bar, but of course that's changed when the patch is saved to disk. Also notice the end sample positions of the slots aren't 0?

---

BTW Giada runs very well on another laptop I have that I'm nursing along because it's 10 years old, it has Celeron version of Pentium 4 as CPU, 1.8 GHz, at least 512MB RAM and on Windows XP SP1, also using DirectSound. Using Voxengo Recorder to record its output. 8-)
I love text-file formats, I program for them and that's all I can do!
Check out some of my stuff to do things with GPTC files: HERE

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:26 pm

Thank you for the patches; now we will do some test on them. I can already see something strange with chanend, and samplepath mixes up slash and forward slash like that:
samplepath0=C:UsersFCDocumentsYgiada/test2.gprj/IDMMISC03(100).wav

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:01 am

Fixed forward slashes in file path. Also we did a lot of changes in the inner structure of Giada, mostly related to this issue. Feedbacks are welcome!