[FIXED] about the loop modes

Errors, malfunctions, website typos.
Ben
F6 - Feverfew

[FIXED] about the loop modes

Post by Ben » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:39 pm

Hello,

I'm new on this forum and just discovered Giada last week so it is perhaps not a bug but something I haven't fully understood from the manual.
I find the name of the play modes a bit misleading. Usually in the sampler world loop would mean a sample that plays in loop not really a sample re-triggered every start of the sequence (which is also a loop I agree ;) so the play mode are usually "single" or "loop" and the triggering modes would be "one-shot", "toggle" or "gate".

Any way, here's my question:
Starting from a clean config (no events) in the third loop mode "loop.repeat", if I press its key, the sample is "armed" then start on beat 1, plays looped then is rewinded/restarted on beat 1. If I press again its key, it plays looped infinitely. Is this the right behavior? I really like the possibility to play an endless loop, very great for ambient stuff and phasing/echo effects but then how is I supposed to stop the sample?

Again, this may not be a bug and just because I'm a newbie on Giada.

Keep up the good works,

Ben

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Re: about the loop modes

Post by FFT » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:47 pm

Hi Ben, welcome!

First of all, with loop we mean a sample driven by the sequencer. With oneshot we mean a sample that you can fire with the keyboard (or MIDI device in the future), totally cut off from the sequencer. However those names were given in the beginning of the development; any smarter suggestion would be very welcome!

Regarding the loop.repeat issue: it's definitely a bug. In theory the sample should stop when the sequencer goes back to beat 1. For the moment you can kill it with shift + [key]. We'll fix it soon.

Finally as you pointed out, a new mode like that would be very useful. It could be a member of the oneshot series: you press the key and the sample starts to play endlessly. Or something else?

Ben
F6 - Feverfew

Post by Ben » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:17 am

Hi,

Thank you for the fast answer.
I don't want to add to the complexity but does it really makes a difference if it's started by the user or the sequencer? I mean the sequencer is recording key presses with the exception that by default a "dummy" event is existing at step 1. Is this a correct interpretation? Sorry, english is not my mother tongue, I still have problems to express me correctly sometimes.

The important point for this new mode is that it isn't rewinded and is just free-running.

I'm still too new to Giada to have a clear mind but perhaps you should rethink the way the gui presents the loop/triggering options and have 2 dropdown lists instead of one. One would be: is the samples looped or not (I mean here is it a "drum hit" or a "4/4 beat" ths might be specified in the sample edit window perhaps) and the second one would be how is the sample reacting to a trigger (key/sequencer action): toggle (one press=on, second press=off), gate (keep playing while pressed), trigger (the sample plays till the end).

Loop basic — the sample starts at beat 1 and will play continuously until its key is pressed; > TOGGLE with a "dummy event" at step 1 to sync.
Loop once — the sample starts at beat 1 and will play until finished. Then, at the next first beat it starts again; > trigger with a "dummy event" at step 1 to sync
Loop repeat — the sample starts at beat 1 and will play continuously, rewinding itself at every sub-beat; > bug ?
Oneshot basic — the sample starts on key press and stops on a second keypress; > TOGGLE
Oneshot press — the sample plays as long as its key is pressed; > GATE
Oneshot retrig — the sample plays until the end; pressing its key rewinds it. > TRIGGER

So for me the 2 groups are essentially the same excepted that in one case the sequencer is filled at step 1 with a note-on.

Ben

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:55 pm

I know that LOOP and SINGLE can be a bit of mess, so I briefly summarize their functions:

LOOP
- they play only if the sequencer is running
- they start at beat 1 (dummy event)
- they rewind when they reach the end or the sequencer returns to beat 1
- the sequencer cannot record key presses for them

SINGLE
- you can play them freely, even if the sequencer is off
- they start whenever you want, not only at beat 1
- the sequencer can record key presses for them, if the record action button is on

Then, as things are now, our new mode can be both from the LOOP and the SINGLE family. If LOOP, it starts at beat 1 and never stops. If SINGLE, it starts whenever you want (and you can record it).

OT: don't worry about your English, there are no native language speakers or writers here :D

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:02 am

loop.repeat bug fixed in 0.6.2.