[FIXED] OSX not playing audio

Errors, malfunctions, website typos.
nesbit
F9 - Lavender

[FIXED] OSX not playing audio

Post by nesbit » Thu May 02, 2013 2:38 pm

Hey,
I have a Macbook pro running 10.6.8 and giada 0.6.3 and I load samples into giada and play them, no audio is coming out of my computer. I really would like to use this software. Any help?
Thanks

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Re: OSX not playing audio

Post by FFT » Thu May 02, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi nesbit,
did you see any pop-up error messages related to the sound card? Also it could be great if you could copy and paste here the debug infos. You have to run Giada via command line and grab the text from there.

nesbit
F9 - Lavender

Post by nesbit » Fri May 03, 2013 10:37 pm

Actually, it is playing audio! If I turn on the metronome I can hear audio. I think I am just having troubles triggering samples. I don't find the written tutorial very useful.

nesbit
F9 - Lavender

Post by nesbit » Sat May 04, 2013 2:04 am

UPDATE:
I got giada to play a sample once!!!!! :D :D :D
However, I cannot repeat the process, I was changing the playmodes and cannot remember the one I was on. Can someone tell me how to play a sample (including how to set up the grid/ metronome. Thanks again

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Sun May 05, 2013 8:00 am

nesbit wrote: However, I cannot repeat the process, I was changing the playmodes and cannot remember the one I was on. Can someone tell me how to play a sample (including how to set up the grid/ metronome. Thanks again
Some parts of the docs must be updated, if you find anything confusing feel free to report it, we want to make it as clear as possible!

For now I quote from http://www.giadamusic.com/documentation-performing:

all samples are triggered by clicking the "key box", the leftmost button of each channel, or by pressing the corresponding key. Basically there are two channel modes:
  • loop (loop basic, loop once, loop repeat) - linked to the sequencer, they work only if the sequencer is on. How to do that? Press once the key box, then start the sequencer. Otherwise if the sequencer is already running, they start at the next first beat;
  • oneshot (oneshot basic, oneshot press, oneshot retrig and oneshot endless) - completely detached from the sequencer, they start as soon as you click on the key box, or press the corresponding key.

nesbit
F9 - Lavender

Post by nesbit » Sun May 05, 2013 6:41 pm

FFT wrote:
nesbit wrote: However, I cannot repeat the process, I was changing the playmodes and cannot remember the one I was on. Can someone tell me how to play a sample (including how to set up the grid/ metronome. Thanks again
Some parts of the docs must be updated, if you find anything confusing feel free to report it, we want to make it as clear as possible!

For now I quote from http://www.giadamusic.com/documentation-performing:

all samples are triggered by clicking the "key box", the leftmost button of each channel, or by pressing the corresponding key. Basically there are two channel modes:
  • loop (loop basic, loop once, loop repeat) - linked to the sequencer, they work only if the sequencer is on. How to do that? Press once the key box, then start the sequencer. Otherwise if the sequencer is already running, they start at the next first beat;
  • oneshot (oneshot basic, oneshot press, oneshot retrig and oneshot endless) - completely detached from the sequencer, they start as soon as you click on the key box, or press the corresponding key.
I am doing everything that the docs say and it still dosen't work. Knowing me, it is probably something super simple that I am messing up on. Would it help if I screen recored myself using giada, so someone can help me debug?

nesbit
F9 - Lavender

Post by nesbit » Sun May 05, 2013 6:53 pm

Nevermind. I am an idiot. I was not turning the volume up on each individual channel. Sorry for all of the trouble FFT. My error 100%. I love giada now that I can use it.
Thanks for your help.

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Mon May 06, 2013 7:41 pm

Don't worry, at least we have a new paragraph for the docs! :D :D

nesbit
F9 - Lavender

Post by nesbit » Mon May 06, 2013 9:23 pm

FFT wrote:Don't worry, at least we have a new paragraph for the docs! :D :D
Yep. Do you know if there is a place where I can do a tutorial/how to for giada. I figured out how to trigger samples with midi in giada. I posted once in projects and it seemed to get removed because it was a little off topic. Maybe an Admin can add an Off-Topic section for tutorials and such.

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Re: [FIXED] OSX not playing audio

Post by FFT » Mon May 06, 2013 9:43 pm

nesbit wrote: Yep. Do you know if there is a place where I can do a tutorial/how to for giada. I figured out how to trigger samples with midi in giada. I posted once in projects and it seemed to get removed because it was a little off topic. Maybe an Admin can add an Off-Topic section for tutorials and such.
We moved it just a couple of minutes ago here: http://www.giadamusic.com/forum/tutoria ... 960e7f4178