[FIXED] Ubuntu 12.04 no audio output

Errors, malfunctions, website typos.
jukingeo
F4 - Digitalis

[FIXED] Ubuntu 12.04 no audio output

Post by jukingeo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:09 am

Hello,

I have installed Giada on my computer and I have it set up for ALSA direct output. However, I have no sound in the output. I have turned up the little volume control as instructed in the tutorial and nothing happens.

Furthermore, if I push the 'play' button, Giada crashes HARD and I have to force quit the application. Obviously something is wrong. I am hoping there is a simple solution.

Please Advise.

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 no audio output

Post by FFT » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:36 am

Hi jukingeo,

Please run Giada via the command line and paste here anything you see, so that we can read some useful output. Thanks!

jukingeo
F4 - Digitalis

Post by jukingeo » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:03 pm

FFT wrote:Hi jukingeo,

Please run Giada via the command line and paste here anything you see, so that we can read some useful output. Thanks!

Code: Select all

geo@Geo1:~$ giada_lin
Giada 0.7.1 setup...
[INIT] loading configuration file...
[KA] using system 0x2
[KA] Opening devices 0 (out), -1 (in), f=44100...
[KA] 6 device(s) found
  0) hw:HDA Intel,0
  1) hw:HDA Intel,1
  2) hw:HDA Intel,2
  3) hw:HDA Intel,3
  4) hw:HDA Intel,7
  5) default
[KA] latency = 0
[pluginHost] buffers allocated, buffersize = 2048
There you go. It took me a bit to find out that I had to run the program with giada_lin.

Thanx,

Geo

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:14 pm

Thanks for the cut&paste :) First of all I suggest you to upgrade Giada to 0.7.2, previously there was a bug with Jack that led to very hard crashes...
Besides:
* does Giada crash/work with PulseAudio?
* do other apps work fine with ALSA output?
* what happens if you change device, e.g. from hw:HDA Intel,0 to hw:HDA Intel,3 (or, better, to 'default')?

jukingeo
F4 - Digitalis

Post by jukingeo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:07 pm

FFT wrote:Thanks for the cut&paste :) First of all I suggest you to upgrade Giada to 0.7.2, previously there was a bug with Jack that led to very hard crashes...
I thought that Giada can run directly without Jack.
Besides:
* does Giada crash/work with PulseAudio?
I don't think Pulse is setup with Ubuntu Studio, but I tried it and it doesn't work.
* do other apps work fine with ALSA output?
Yes, I have Mixxx, LMMS, and all other sound functions do work within Ubuntu Studio.
* what happens if you change device, e.g. from hw:HDA Intel,0 to hw:HDA Intel,3 (or, better, to 'default')?
Nothing, no sound. And yes, I did remember to turn the little volume control on the sample up all the way.

jukingeo
F4 - Digitalis

Post by jukingeo » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:21 pm

Hello All,

Ok, I downloaded Giada for Windows and at first I had the same problem...no sound. So I figured I must be doing something wrong, as it turned out I pressed the play button on the upper left and THEN pressed the start button for the sample beginning portion of my sample played for the four beats shown in the bar on the top middle. Upon turning off the 'loop', the sample did continue to play all the way through. I found this strange as I knew this is NOT what the tutorial mentioned. So I went back to the tutorial and I found what I missed...The "O" button. So when I set that to 'one shot-basic' the sample then played without engaging the loop control.

So after I discovered this in Windows, I went back into Linux and located the "O" button there and did the same thing. Now It plays! So it turned out there wasn't a problem. However, I think what may be helpful to first time users if that the program DEFAULTS to 'one shot - basic'. Also defaulting the channel's volume to MAX also would be beneficial. This would avoid any future 'no sound' issues.

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:51 am

jukingeo wrote:... I went back into Linux and located the "O" button there and did the same thing. Now It plays! So it turned out there wasn't a problem.
Good news, then!
jukingeo wrote:However, I think what may be helpful to first time users if that the program DEFAULTS to 'one shot - basic'. Also defaulting the channel's volume to MAX also would be beneficial. This would avoid any future 'no sound' issues.
I totally agree with your idea: currently for a first time user there are too many steps. We will fix it in the upcoming version (0.7.3). Thank you for your feedback!