advanced action record/sequencer

Good ideas, proposals, enhancements.
The Lo-Am Allstars
F9 - Lavender

advanced action record/sequencer

Post by The Lo-Am Allstars » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:35 am

Ok, last idea for a while, I promise... this is a BIG ask, and may not really fit in with the way Giada is being envisioned, plus it would be redundant if VST support were more stable (by using sampler or sequencer plugins), buuut...
What about somehow combining multiple one-shot samples's actions in another sort of channel, like a 'sequence' channel, allowing you to create multiple patterns and loops without loading the same set of samples into multiple channels? It could get super messy, I know, but I was thinking like, this type of channel is an empty box, and you drag other channels into it?
Attachments
my-idea-1.jpg
lame-o MSPaint 'mockup'
my-idea-1.jpg (121.16 KiB) Viewed 5081 times
...as always, feel free to smack me down if I've missed something obvious.

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Re: advanced action record/sequencer

Post by FFT » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:46 am

Don't worry Lo-Am, feel free to blast this mini forum with your ideas, any suggestion is always welcome :D

If I have understood correctly, you want to overcome the pain of loading NxM samples when working with N patterns made of M samples, right? If so, we are planning to add more pattern banks (A, B, C, D and so on) so that each sample can be driven by a different set of actions: one set per pattern. Pattern A can contain, for example, the base song, pattern B the refrain, pattern C a fill-in and so on.

Does the multi-bank approach would suit your needs?

The Lo-Am Allstars
F9 - Lavender

Post by The Lo-Am Allstars » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:13 pm

That would work great! I found I could sequence patterns using more than one sample, and trigger them with one key (by assigning all the channels to the same key), but you are exactly right - if I wanted two multi-sample patterns, having to load the same samples N number of times slows things down. Maybe a 'clone channel' function could help too. In your plan, how might you move between patterns or trigger a specific one?

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:54 pm

The Lo-Am Allstars wrote:Maybe a 'clone channel' function could help too
This is another useful feature, thanks!
In your plan, how might you move between patterns or trigger a specific one?
There will be a set of buttons on the main screen, something like [A] [C] [D] [...] - maybe 8, maybe 12, maybe a user-defined number, each one corresponding to a pattern. By clicking on each of them you just switch to another set of actions, while samples and channels remain unchanged. Does it make sense? :)

The Lo-Am Allstars
F9 - Lavender

Post by The Lo-Am Allstars » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:23 pm

Yes it does - much more efficient than drag and drop :P