Export sample playback region only?

Good ideas, proposals, enhancements.
The Lo-Am Allstars
F9 - Lavender

Export sample playback region only?

Post by The Lo-Am Allstars » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:51 am

This might only work for the way I'm trying to use Giada at the moment: I've got a whole song, and I'm chopping it with the editor. It's great, an amazing workflow, building a track out of a sample so quickly.
As I'm cutting out more and more bits, I load the same sample in over and over again. This isn't a problem, if I save it as a patch then it's all still reading off the same sample. Plus, it's totally non-destructive editing, and I can keep tweaking each section independently to get it perfect.
But I'm running it on a portable thumb drive, so I can keep working on it when/wherever inspiration strikes, so when I save it as a project, each chop is saved as the whole 20mb .wav file, named "song.wav.wav", "song.wav-1.wav, "song.wav-2.wav" etc, and it's getting very big very quickly.

I was wondering if there could be some checkbox when you export sample as wav to export only from the s. to e. markers? Then I can save out my chops from the one song-length sample and load them back in immediately to save space? At the moment I'm recording 'auditioning' each sample once with about a second's pause in between, exporting that, and slicing it up in Audacity, then replacing the whole-song samples with the shorter samples and saving it as a different project.
Like I said, possibly only useful to how I'm using it right now. Maybe something for further down the project pipeline, if it's worth pursuing.
...as always, feel free to smack me down if I've missed something obvious.

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Re: Export sample playback region only?

Post by FFT » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:06 am

Interesting topic. The ability to export only a part of the sample is a good new feature to add.

Just a thought, why don't you trim the sample (right click on waveform > trim) instead of setting the s. e. markers? This way only trimmed parts are stored when you save a project.

The Lo-Am Allstars
F9 - Lavender

Post by The Lo-Am Allstars » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:40 am

...because I'm a derp, that's why :/
(thanks, I often immediately start playing with things in ways they're not supposed to be used, so I often miss the obvious bits about how they already actually work, hence my signature)

Also, I figured out that the massive project bloat isn't actually for the reason in my first post (derp again), it's because everytime I save change a project, then save and overwrite it, it duplicates every sample and adds .wav to the end again, so it doubles in size exponentially. Would it be possible to maybe save only the patch part of a project file? At the moment .gproj folders are not browsable, which makes sense because they are recognised by Giada as project files.

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:13 am

:D Don't worry Lo-Am, we are all here to learn!

Actually project folders are regular directories, I guess you can't browse them because of the custom extension gprj. I don't know if that is Windows' fault (you are on Windows, right?), try to rename it and you should be able to see the content.

The Lo-Am Allstars
F9 - Lavender

Post by The Lo-Am Allstars » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:53 am

Sorry, didn't explain completely: they're browsable in windows explorer (yes, windows user, i'm not cool and smart :P), but not in Giada, where they are recognised as .gproj files. This is a good thing, obviously, because that's what it's supposed to do.
The problem I'm running into is that if I make changes to a .gproj and then save it, it copies all the file in the project and adds one .wav to the end of the extension of files that already have a .wav, so they become .wav.wav and there are two copies of every file in used by the patch, making it 2x as big. If I do it again, there are 3 copies. It's pretty easy to just delete the originals each time, or to save projects as "*_v01.gproj", *_v02.gproj" etc and just delete v01, but v02 still has the .wav.wav extensions. It doesn't cause a problem or anything, the files are readable by windows explorer and I can open the project in Giada and it works fine. But before I figured out this was happening, it was causing a lot of bloat.
Could there be some kind of 'update project' as well as 'save project' - which updates the .gptch with any new channels or mappings or actions etc without copying the samples, but keeps the 'use the containing folder as the root directory of the samples' portable structure of the .gptch? I'm okay with trying to remember to move any samples I want to add into the .gproj folder in windows before I add them, so it doesn't stuff up the portable part.
It's no problem if that can't be done, now that I've figured out that it keeps duplicating the files, it's easy to fix.

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:11 am

The Lo-Am Allstars wrote:Sorry, didn't explain completely: they're browsable in windows explorer (yes, windows user, i'm not cool and smart :P), but not in Giada, where they are recognised as .gproj files. This is a good thing, obviously, because that's what it's supposed to do.
Oh sorry, now I've got it. Yes, with Giada you cannot "enter" a project directory.
The Lo-Am Allstars wrote:The problem I'm running into is that if I make changes to a .gproj and then save it, it copies all the file in the project and adds one .wav to the end of the extension of files that already have a .wav, so they become .wav.wav and there are two copies of every file in used by the patch, making it 2x as big.

The new .wav.wav extension sounds odd; if you save a project without touching any samples (I mean altering it like cutting, trimming and so on), no new samples should be saved inside the folder. I guess the problem arises when you modify a sample; Giada needs to store the new data but the original extension .wav should be stripped away. A new modification of a sample should overwrite the previous one without adding any new file.

You said that
The Lo-Am Allstars wrote:there are two copies of every file in used by the patch

even for the "vanilla" samples? This could be a nasty (but easy to fix) bug!

The Lo-Am Allstars
F9 - Lavender

Post by The Lo-Am Allstars » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:55 am

even for the "vanilla" samples?
Yep, seems to happen even on samples that haven't been modified, or played. I just opened Giada, created a channel, loaded "kick.wav", saved a .gprj then browsed to the folder in the explorer, and it had been saved as "kick.wav.wav" - the extension is added when copying the wav.
nasty (but easy to fix)
Those must be the best kind!