Reaper-style action mapping

Good ideas, proposals, enhancements.
The Lo-Am Allstars
F9 - Lavender

Reaper-style action mapping

Post by The Lo-Am Allstars » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:49 am

So, this is another big one - I use Reaper a lot, and they have this 'action editor' where every user-editable variable can be found in a list, and then assign a keyboard shortcut to it, the way you can do Setup Global Midi Input. This would mean that all the things like multiply and dividing bars and things could be mapped to keys, or you could have two different record shortcuts, [enter] for record actions and [shift + enter] for record input, [space] for play/stop, [shift+space] for rewind-and-play/stop-and-rewind (I love the [shift + [key]] for mute and solo, it could be extended to give every key multiple functions!). Could this even be implemented while it's still developing so fast? Every release there's a million more user-editable parameters you've added! Maybe this is something that only a few users would want, once a 'final' version had emerged!
...as always, feel free to smack me down if I've missed something obvious.

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Re: Reaper-style action mapping

Post by FFT » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:49 am

As we discussed in another thread this is one of those essential features to add. I love the idea of full customization and the "key combo" as well. In the end there will be:

a) global things (bars, beats, sequencer) controlled via MIDI (ok)
b) global things ... controlled via keyboard, with combos (to do)
c) channels controlled via MIDI (ok)
d) channels controlled via keyboard, with combos (partially done but hardcoded, doesn't work for MIDI, see here)

b) and d) points can share the same mapping interface. A screenshot of Reaper's action panel:
reaper.jpg
reaper.jpg (91.76 KiB) Viewed 4159 times