'one-shot-loop' mode

Good ideas, proposals, enhancements.
The Lo-Am Allstars
F9 - Lavender

'one-shot-loop' mode

Post by The Lo-Am Allstars » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:36 am

Ok, so this might take a bit of explaining, or it could be me missing something obvious again. But... I'd like a 'loop-once' that loops even more once than the loop-once mode, like literally once. So, it combines the sequence-sync of a loop with the... well... 'once'-ness of a one-shot.

Use-case:
So, I've got an 8 bar melody, split into 4 2-bar loops for giada's loop length 8/4. I'd like to be able to trigger part A, have it play once on the next bar or loop-start (whichever occurs first), and then not play again on either the next bar OR the next loop start, so that once A is playing, I can hit B, and on the next bar/loop A will stop, and B will pop in. I know this can be achieved by making A and B one-shots and either practicing until I have AMAZING timing, or just quantizing, but it makes the timing a little tense. And, I sort of like not quantizing so I can put in off-kilter clicks and clunks.

Theoretically this would mean I could also have giada set to something like 32/4 with a big ambient or background sample, and be able to trigger several overlapping melodies made of samples of varying lengths, because I'd have the whole bar to cue up whatever sample or samples are starting next bar.

Reading over this, the way I've described the use-case seems so obvious that I think I HAVE missed something basic that Giada already does, or at least that it's been suggested AT LEAST once in different words, and it's going to be in the many functions already proposed for the advanced sequencer. So, if that's true, sorry in advance for clogging up the forum with derpy suggestions :/
...as always, feel free to smack me down if I've missed something obvious.

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Re: 'one-shot-loop' mode

Post by FFT » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:00 am

OK I got it: you are looking for a 'loop-once' that plays not only on the first beat (aka loop-start), but also on every bar. Right? If so, it's a very nice new mode to add. We only need to define what happens if the sample reaches a bar while still playing, because it's longer than a bar: rewind? nothing?

The Lo-Am Allstars
F9 - Lavender

Re: 'one-shot-loop' mode

Post by The Lo-Am Allstars » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:38 am

my vote would be 'nothing', just let it finish, and not start until triggered again.
...as always, feel free to smack me down if I've missed something obvious.