[DONE] MIDI Input to VSTi

Good ideas, proposals, enhancements.
3mpty
F4 - Digitalis

[DONE] MIDI Input to VSTi

Post by 3mpty » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:22 pm

Hi,
it seems that while Giada get the midi messages of my keyboard (I can map everything) the VSTi still doesn't get the notes I'm playing (the VSTi audio is working since if I open its GUI and click on the virtual keyb it sounds). Probably is yet to be implemented but I think it's a really important feature because some of us (read "keyboard players") would like to record the midi "samples" on the fly as you do with the audio samples. After that I can actually start to do have fun with Giada :)

I don't know if it's already in the roadmap but I cannot seem to find it on the website anymore :/

Btw I've got to tell you again, amazing project :) keep up with the good work

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Re: MIDI Input to VSTi

Post by FFT » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:44 am

Hi 3mpty,

I agree: it's a really important feature. We also have to figure out how to send MIDI messages to a specific channel: maybe with a "record" button or something similar. Thanks for your feedback!

eiler
F1 - Bilberry

Post by eiler » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:20 pm

Hi people,

I've just discovered Giada, and I really like its look and philosophy. But I think what 3mpty suggests is really important. I would love to use Giada in a live performance, but I can't do it without my MIDI keyboard!! Hope you guys work on this feature soon, it will open up a new world of possibilities.

Anyway, congratulations for this beautiful piece of software :]

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi eiler, thank you for your kind words! Indeed the MIDI to VSTi is a key feature in Giada.

We are thinking about a new button inside the channel widget that fires up the MIDI "tunnelling" toward that specific channel. That way you could send MIDI events to a single VST stack - or more, if you enable more than one channel. Of course all enabled channels would receive the same information. If you need to play another VST instrument you have to disable the previous channel(s) and switch the tunnelling to another one.

How to live record a MIDI session? By enabling the action rec button Image all MIDI messages would be stored in those channels with the tunnelling enabled.

As always, thoughts and ideas are welcome :geek:

zipoh45
F6 - Feverfew

Post by zipoh45 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi. I just registered to post here. I think this is the best place for my newbie question!

I've been trying to get Giada to do live sampling of either an audio feed or some midi events coming from the keyboard. Basically, I'm trying to build up audio events layer by layer, while they are in the process of being playing back.

While I can make this happen with the sample channel capturing audio data, the midi channel won't capture keyboard data. I think this the nature of this thread. The software would be way useful for me if it could sample midi data.

How's this coming? I am thinking of hacking Giada in the meantime. Soon as I can get it to link correctly!

Still, this is great stuff you've created. Congratulations!

zipoh45
F6 - Feverfew

Post by zipoh45 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:29 am

I've been looking at the code in light of what you've suggested, about tunnelling.

What I'm playing with is adding a second checkbox, in the MIDI Input Setup dialog box for a midi channel, which is called 'Enable Midi Tunnelling'. The checkbox boolean value is saved in Channel class instance along side midiIn. kernelMidi::callback() looks for this and will tunnel the events into the MidiChannel instance when it receives midi events from the keyboard, by calling a MidiChannel method. Every channel set to tunnel gets a call to the method. That part was easy.

MidiChannel can then use external G_Mixer to get the Frame number and stuff in the event. At least I am thinking so.

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:23 am

Hi Zipoh,

Thanks for the hacking, we love it :) That's exactly what we planned. Actually we were thinking of a global rec-mode (plus your checkbox), enabled by the big action rec button on the upper side of the GUI, in which every channel with the tunnel enabled would store the actions coming from the keyboard. But that's just a matter of user interface, I think.

Feel free to fork the project on GitHub, so we can test your new changes!

zipoh45
F6 - Feverfew

Post by zipoh45 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:44 pm

Hi all. Happy New Year!

Thanks FFT for being receptive. It would be my pleasure to contribute here :)

I'll go ahead and go the forking route so you can see what I have. Also, I have some other ideas about an alternate interface that I want to throw out there for discussion.
Actually we were thinking of a global rec-mode (plus your checkbox), enabled by the big action rec button on the upper side of the GUI, in which every channel with the tunnel enabled would store the actions coming from the keyboard.
Yes, I did enable the recording action predicated on recorder::active. Seems to work.