MIDI input to midi channel - forked source

Good ideas, proposals, enhancements.
zipoh45
F6 - Feverfew

MIDI input to midi channel - forked source

Post by zipoh45 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:10 pm

OK, I've forked the source in order demonstrate my proposed changes. On Github, if you search for "zipoh45" you'll see me there as a new user.
The Giada fork is the only repository for zipoh45.

On this fork, please note:

* tunnelling is enabled for input by default instead of midi input. At home I also enabled midi output by default, but not in the repo.
* recording doesn't start until the bulls-eye record button is on. Playback doesn't start until the channel is activated once with the left button.
* fitting the two widgets where there was one has crowded the area, and they are overlapping which is not right.
* events generated by tunnelling are not showing up on the piano roll. I don't know why, but they do play back.
* I also made a change in log.cpp so it would use stderr instead of stdout, necessary for it to work properly for me.

Enjoy.

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Re: MIDI input to midi channel - forked source

Post by FFT » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:21 pm

Great! Could you please issue a pull request on GitHub?

zipoh45
F6 - Feverfew

Post by zipoh45 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:16 pm

Done. Thanks for your patience.

zipoh45
F6 - Feverfew

Post by zipoh45 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:01 pm

Hi. I continue to work on the Giada code to make it something that will loop midi instruments like keyboards along side with the sampled sounds, with ease. At the same time, I recognize that Giada serves a wide range of functions which is what makes it so useful as the hard core sampler. So my intention is to make it more capable in one area, without making it unduly specialized.

So I am contributing changes to the midi-tunnel fork of monocasual/giada repositorywhich to expand the basic functionality of the code. If you can build from the git repository, you can try that out. I also have a more significant variant that I am working on which can be made available for testing at some point.

In using the midi-tunnel fork variant, I've found that I need Program/Bank Change capability right away. I can change the midi output channel, but I can't change the instruments that plays on that channel. I am therefore working on adding ability to set program/bank , accessed from the midi output dialog box.

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:23 pm

Hi Zipoh,

Great news from your side. Feel free to ask if you need technical support. A little side note: I would suggest you to rebase every now and then with the master branch, because we are pushing there some new stuff - along with the new version 0.9.3.

Keep up the good work!

zipoh45
F6 - Feverfew

Post by zipoh45 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:11 pm

OK, can you give a little more idea how that's done ( rebasing )? I understand there are other changes are being pushed to the main branch. But I don't grasp how to start a fresh branch from the current main, then apply all the changes again. If that's what you're suggesting. Otherwise, what might you mean? I appreciate the help. Maybe I need to read more about how the gitbub process works?

Thanks!

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:25 pm

OK, can you give a little more idea how that's done ( rebasing )?
Don't worry, we too are total newbies in the github world :) The theory is quite simple: you grab our master branch and merge it in your development branch. There's a neat guide on how to do that here. I mentioned rebase, but you can easily manage it with a "classic" merge operation. Let us know if you need help.