raspberry pi teensy 3.1

lenny
F5 - Eucalyptus

raspberry pi teensy 3.1

Post by lenny » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:27 am

Hi

First off, thanks for Giada. Awesome. I've donated what I can afford at the moment. I have a question about mono vs stereo output, but first I'd like to tell you about my set-up ... if anyone has a similar setup maybe they could also help with a driver issue I have (non-giada ...) ...I have a joystick and a couple of buttons hooked up to a teensy 3.1 ... the teensy 3.1 outputs keypresses over USB to a raspberry pi 2. Giada and jack run on the rpi 2, and I have an onyx blackjack usb 1.1 audio interface hooked up (2 out).

Miraculously, this all works with pretty usable latency for live drumming!!! using the joystick and buttons I can drum along to my favourite tunes using oneshot retrigger in giada, all with usable latency and all in a box the size of a pencil case, with no fan, no windows and no amd or intel computer!!! Yay. I've only used a couple of samples at this stage, and this brings me to my question ...

At the moment things all seem to play out the right channel of my blackjack ... can i specify that a giada sample channel be played on a particular hardware channel?

A second question is to any rpi users out there. I've set up another teensy with a hardware midi interface off the serial pins. There is a great schematic and set of instructions on the prjc teensy website. Works well into my intel pc, using a midi interface. I'm sure it will work for the rpi too. But I want to use the serial pins on the rpi ... serial teensy to serial rpi for midi ....I have compiled and installed a serial midi driver for the rpi -- serial-pl011 ... man, that was gruelling ...but it seems to load up in lsmod ...has anyone had experience with that driver, and in particular using it to get midi into Giada??? ...I haven't tried it yet (I have a full-time job during the week), but it doesn't show up as a separate interface in jack after I have loaded it, even though I patched it using Kim Taylor's patch (Kim co-wrote the serial-pl011 driver). Hmm

Anyway, enough rambling ...If anyone could help, that would be great, and thanks so much for making Giada.

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Re: raspberry pi teensy 3.1

Post by FFT » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:33 pm

Hi lenny,

Firts of all thank you for your kind support! We really appreciate it ;)

Coming to your question,
can i specify that a giada sample channel be played on a particular hardware channel?
At the moment you can't bypass the master output. But we are working on it! ("multiple outputs", here). For what concerns the left-channel issue, I'm not 100% sure: did you check your samples on another app? Do they play fine there?

lenny
F5 - Eucalyptus

Post by lenny » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:53 pm

Hey. thanks for taking the time to answer, I've been playing around with the sequencer ...man it is awesome ... I'm still partway through my midi setup, so I'm really looking forward to using midi soon ...just using key stroke recording is fantastic!!

I had a jam using giada as a drum machine ...one simple riff, into the mixer, split to the recorder and the PA...totally awesome ...

https://soundcloud.com/blinkworth1/alt-groove

Anyway this brings me back to clarifying my original question (and I have another one ...)

Giada outputs mono samples as true mono, it seems .. (thats what I meant when I said only one channel ..sorry about the confusion) .. what I am wondering is if I could output one sample channel to left and another sample channel to right ...then I could separately process a kick and a snare at the mixer...is that what you mean by 'multi-channel output??) It would be great to have like 4 or six out (my blackjack only does 2 out .. and the rpi is not going to handle 4 out, I bet ..), but if I could specify the 'side' of the main output that a sample channel goes to, that would be awesome ....

I feel a bit funny asking questions when what you have done is already totally great ...!

NEXT!! Is there a built in click track / metronome feature that I am overlooking?

THANKS AGAIN...

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:53 am

lenny wrote:what I am wondering is if I could output one sample channel to left and another sample channel to right ...then I could separately process a kick and a snare at the mixer...is that what you mean by 'multi-channel output??)
By multi-channel output I mean the ability to load N channels (say 3 MIDI and 5 Samples for example) and send their signals to N specific hardware outputs, bypassing the Giada master, which of course mixes down all the channel's signals into one.

As for your request, you could 100% pan them to the left and to the right respectively. You can do that in the Sample Editor with the "pan" knob. Hope it helps! And keep up the good work ;)

Boi_social
F7 - Goldenseal

Post by Boi_social » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:13 am

lenny wrote:Hi

First off, thanks for Giada. Awesome. I've donated what I can afford at the moment. I have a question about mono vs stereo output, but first I'd like to tell you about my set-up ... if anyone has a similar setup maybe they could also help with a driver issue I have (non-giada ...) ...I have a joystick and a couple of buttons hooked up to a teensy 3.1 ... the teensy 3.1 outputs keypresses over USB to a raspberry pi 2. Giada and jack run on the rpi 2, and I have an onyx blackjack usb 1.1 audio interface hooked up (2 out).

Miraculously, this all works with pretty usable latency for live drumming!!! using the joystick and buttons I can drum along to my favourite tunes using oneshot retrigger in giada, all with usable latency and all in a box the size of a pencil case, with no fan, no windows and no amd or intel computer!!! Yay. I've only used a couple of samples at this stage, and this brings me to my question ...

At the moment things all seem to play out the right channel of my blackjack ... can i specify that a giada sample channel be played on a particular hardware channel?

A second question is to any rpi users out there. I've set up another teensy with a hardware midi interface off the serial pins. There is a great schematic and set of instructions on the prjc teensy website. Works well into my intel pc, using a midi interface. I'm sure it will work for the rpi too. But I want to use the serial pins on the rpi ... serial teensy to serial rpi for midi ....I have compiled and installed a serial midi driver for the rpi -- serial-pl011 ... man, that was gruelling ...but it seems to load up in lsmod ...has anyone had experience with that driver, and in particular using it to get midi into Giada??? ...I haven't tried it yet (I have a full-time job during the week), but it doesn't show up as a separate interface in jack after I have loaded it, even though I patched it using Kim Taylor's patch (Kim co-wrote the serial-pl011 driver). Hmm

Anyway, enough rambling ...If anyone could help, that would be great, and thanks so much for making Giada.
Hi Lenny!
Are you still playing around with the RPi and Giada? I would love to know more about what you're doing! I'm venturing on a similar quest (although lacking in the technical department) and I'd be excited to hear more!

Greets from the Netherlands