Delay between trigger and sound for oneshots?

Gab
F5 - Eucalyptus

Delay between trigger and sound for oneshots?

Post by Gab » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:20 am

Hey there,

I'm using giada to control some samples for a live application and I've gotten some issues using one shot samples.

For this setup, I'm using a drum pad to trigger the samples via MIDI. Most of my samples are loops, but some of them are one shots. Basically, my issue is that when I hit my drum pad to trigger the one shot samples, there's a short delay between my hitting the drum pad and the sample actually sounding. Note that this has only been happening with my laptop.

Before using my laptop though, I tested giada as a live looper on my desktop, which runs windows 7 home prem, with giada 0.12.0. Working this way, I never had any issues of this kind.

Because I want to use giada live though, I moved the setup to my laptop. Now I'm using a MacBook Pro, but with a Windows 7 home prem partition; this is because my soundcard uses firewire and my Mac is my only laptop with a firewire port; also, my soundcard is incompatible with my version of Mac OSX (El Capitan), hence the windows 7 partition. I started out the setup with the latest release of giada, that is 0.12.1.

I tried a few different things to remedy the situation. At first, I was using my soundcard's MIDI port, and I got a delay. So I then used a USB MIDI interface instead, the UM 3G, but still got the delay. Afterwards, I tried going back to giada 0.12.0, but again still got the delay. I also tried shutting off a few background things like my antivirus and disconnecting from the internet, which still did not seem to work.

If it's useful info for anyone at all, I'll also mention that my Windows partition size is 45 gigabytes.

I'm not really sure what else could be causing this delay, but if anyone has any suggestions of any kind I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Gab

Gab
F5 - Eucalyptus

Re: Delay between trigger and sound for oneshots?

Post by Gab » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:31 pm

Hey again,

I actually figured out the issue. I switched over to the ASIO setting and now it's working fine!

Gab

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Re: Delay between trigger and sound for oneshots?

Post by FFT » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Hi Gab,

I'm glad you solved your problem: that was a latency issue for sure. You could also tweak the buffer size and see if the delay gets better. Have fun ;)