Two Questions: PC Keyboard as MIDI input and Select channel to use MIDI input

erincar
F4 - Digitalis

Two Questions: PC Keyboard as MIDI input and Select channel to use MIDI input

Post by erincar » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:40 am

Hey everyone.

So I have two questions:

1) Can I use my computer's keyboard to simulate MIDI input? I mean, the notes played with letters on the keyboard?
Most DAWs etc. have that.

2) Let's say, I have created two separate MIDI mappings for two channels. Is it possible to pick which channel receives the MIDI input while performing?

Happy to be here.
-Erinc

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Re: Two Questions: PC Keyboard as MIDI input and Select channel to use MIDI input

Post by FFT » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:33 pm

Hi Erinc,
1) Can I use my computer's keyboard to simulate MIDI input? [...]
Unfortunately this is not possible at the moment. You can trigger start/stop events but not MIDI note_on/off ones. However this looks like a nice feature to have, @Duchamp?
2) Let's say, I have created two separate MIDI mappings for two channels. Is it possible to pick which channel receives the MIDI input while performing?
What do you mean by "picking a channel"? Displaying the input MIDI activity, maybe? (I might be totally off here...)

Duchamp
Site Admin

Re: Two Questions: PC Keyboard as MIDI input and Select channel to use MIDI input

Post by Duchamp » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:57 pm

FFT wrote:However this looks like a nice feature to have, @Duchamp?
+1 on this. Added to the To Do list. Thanks!

erincar
F4 - Digitalis

Post by erincar » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:59 am

FFT wrote:
What do you mean by "picking a channel"? Displaying the input MIDI activity, maybe? (I might be totally off here...)
Excuse my lack of proper terminology :D For instance, let's say I have a MIDI input device that has 8 knobs. I want this device to control 2 of my channels, C1 and C2, each of which has 8 different attributes to be controlled. Now, I want to be able to dynamically select the channel that I'm feeding the MIDI input, while the music is playing. In other words, I want to "channel" (for the lack of a better word) my MIDI input into C1 or C2, which I can switch either with a global switch or by a shortcut on C1 that makes C1 accept MIDI input.

Otherwise, for 8 channels each of which requires 8 knobs, I would have to use a 64 knob controller! I think you get my point. :D

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:22 am

Ok great, the "channel" terminology is the right one here, even if damn confusing :D So I think your setup will benefit from the following feature: MIDI input filtering, that is the ability to filter input messages coming from different MIDI channels (not Giada channels).

Basically you would create 2 Giada channels: C1 and C2, where C1 listens to MIDI channel (e.g.) 4 and C2 listens to MIDI channel (e.g.) 8. Then on your controller you would switch the MIDI channel the messages are sent to (e.g. 4 or 8): messages on MIDI channel 4 would wake up C1, while messages on MIDI channel 8 would wake up C2.

The MIDI input filtering is going to be implemented in 0.14.5, that is the next upcoming release.

erincar
F4 - Digitalis

Post by erincar » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:01 am

FFT wrote:
The MIDI input filtering is going to be implemented in 0.14.5, that is the next upcoming release.
Oh yeah! And by the way, I am a programmer myself and would like to help with the development, hopefully, if I have the time. Maybe I'll end up implementing some of my future suggestions :D

Thanks!

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:09 pm

erincar wrote: Oh yeah! And by the way, I am a programmer myself and would like to help with the development, hopefully, if I have the time. Maybe I'll end up implementing some of my future suggestions :D
It would be great ;)