Trying to live loop guitar by midi control actions

nano
F6 - Feverfew

Trying to live loop guitar by midi control actions

Post by nano » Sun May 06, 2018 5:47 pm

I'm thinking about using giada as part of a live set, it would be a live looper for my guitar, potentially an input processor for a vocal mic. I would have renoise playing music with a controller doing fx along side giada (renoise controlling tempo).

I'm not sure if giada can do what I am looking for though, the midi mapping seems very limited. Essentially I want to be able to:

a) put a midi key/button and start recording audio and have it stop after 4 bars, then start looping
b) move to the next slot and start recording something else the same way as a)

Now, what I'm a bit lost with how to achieve this, I want to be able to use a midi controller to map multiple things, like press a button and the track arms and starts recording, then after x bars it disarms and loops, another button to choose another track etc. I wouldn't mind too much to just overdubbing in the same clip for one song but it still isn't ideal having to use the mouse to arm a new track/clip to start a new song.

I have noticed that if I midi map a key to input recording and press the button twice giada crashes/disappears.

Aside from the crash, is this something I can do with giada? I feel like it could be perfect but I'm not sure how to do it.

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Re: Trying to live loop guitar by midi control actions

Post by FFT » Tue May 08, 2018 7:37 pm

Hi nano,
nano wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 5:47 pm
a) put a midi key/button and start recording audio and have it stop after 4 bars, then start looping
So basically you want to record 4 bars of audio. You could go with 4 bars and an empty channel, then start recording audio on that channel. Then just stop recording at the end of the 4th bar; Giada would keep looping.
nano wrote:
b) move to the next slot and start recording something else the same way as a)
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "slot" here...
nano wrote:
Now, what I'm a bit lost with how to achieve this, I want to be able to use a midi controller to map multiple things, like press a button and the track arms and starts recording, then after x bars it disarms and loops, another button to choose another track etc. I wouldn't mind too much to just overdubbing in the same clip for one song but it still isn't ideal having to use the mouse to arm a new track/clip to start a new song.
I think you can MIDI control basically everything you mentioned. For reference, here is the full list: https://www.giadamusic.com/documentatio ... management
Let me know if you think there's something missing!

nano
F6 - Feverfew

Post by nano » Thu May 10, 2018 5:03 pm

I have a feeling I am just misunderstanding the concept of giada. I was thinking it could act in a similar way to ableton live where you can record in to one clip/slot, then move to another track and record a clip there. I can see that you can do that with giada but how do you control which track you are recording on, or which 'clip'. Apologies if I am using the wrong terminology.

Let's say I want to play a whole live set with lots of different songs. Would I have to midi assign input recording to each clip/slot? I thought there would be a global/contextual record function and a up/down/left/right so I can move down the track and record another clip.

The link you provided suggests that input recording is global (I assume meaning that it works for whatever is armed), but that leads to the question of how do you arm without assigning loads of buttons to each one individually?

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Sun May 13, 2018 3:49 pm

nano wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 5:03 pm
I have a feeling I am just misunderstanding the concept of giada. I was thinking it could act in a similar way to ableton live where you can record in to one clip/slot, then move to another track and record a clip there.
Giada works exactly that way, except for the up/down/left/right thing :) You can think of input recording as a two-steps operation: 1) put Giada into "rec mode" by clicking the "rec button" in the main transport, then 2) "arm" the channel you want to record to, both MIDI or audio. This video tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L66CA1Umk4w should shed some light on the topic.